DAY FIFTY-NINE Sunday 28th February 2021:

Morning has broken:

 

MORNING HAS BROKEN

Morning has broken

and the birds are singing.

The Blackbird invites us to start the day.

A day of sunshine or a day of pain,

a day of smiling or a day of rain.

A day of happiness or a day of gloom.

Morning has broken,

and the birds are singing.

Our feathered friends are ready to start their day.

Rain or shine how will you form your day ?

With sunshine and smiles,

or with clouds and rain ?

How you form your day will affect the days of all around you.

Morning has broken,

and the birds are singing.

The Blackbird invites YOU to start YOUR day.

 

Can you believe it we are now standing here on the last day of February 2021. In my writing challenge the month began with me having written 264,466 words in my 2021 challenge. I open my day with that total standing at 409,233. How will things look at the end of today ?  Well, I’ll tell you tomorrow.

 

In January I published seven e-books on Amazon. So far in February my total stands at five. The moment I have finished writing today’s entry I will submit this text as number six.

 

Time to SMILE – SMILE OF THE DAY Don’t be afraid to start over, it is a chance to build something better this time.

 

For me February has been a strange month. Much of my writing has been surrounded by my editing a poetry anthology. Within this I say several times that I can not write poetry. I had been hoping to finish STAIRCASE OF WORDS and publish this within February but I think it will be another week before that happens. This is part of the text from that work:

 

How I wish I could write poetry but I can not. I am like a man looking out to sea and wishing he could swim in the waters. Write poetry I can not. Swim in the water I can not.

 

I can not swim because schools where I was growing up did not have swimming pools and so many of those who are my age never learned to swim. It was a logistical fact of life.

 

In my early, formative years at junior school we did not read poetry. In the last two years of secondary school we had an English teacher who loved poetry and shared it with us all but we have not climbed that far yet up the staircase. Is the fact that I can not write poetry down to the fact that when I was seven, eight, nine, ten years of age I did not truly know what a poem was ?

 

On Saturday 20th February I suddenly wrote a poem. Snowdrop, I have shared it with you before:

 

A SNOWDROP

A hint of spring on a winter’s day,

the snowdrop in a carpet of white

upon a field of green.

The naked branches of the trees

look down and envy all they see.

Then they smile at what is yet to come.

A robin dances on the ground

his red breast differs with the white

and thinks could this be a nesting site ?

But then the footsteps of a man come near

and with it sadness, dread and fear.

The snowdrop, trees and birds

worry the end may soon be theirs.

Extinction of climate is the aim of man.

 

Now here on Sunday 28th February I have written no fewer than fourteen poems. I am working on an anthology of my own poems to add to my writing challenge and publish on Amazon.

 

My life motto is LIFE IS A DISCO SO DANCE.  Actually it is one of several life mottos I surround myself with but shall I say it is my lead motto. Today, round about four in the morning, I turned it into this.

 

DISCO

Life is a Disco do Dance.

Dance with a partner or dance in a group,

but never dance alone.

Dance with the music:

Dance with the tracks that are fast.

Dance with the songs that are slow.

But always dance no matter what.

Don’t just stand and watch others,

get on the floor of life and dance to the full.

Life is a Disco so Dance.

 

Yes, my poems are rubbish, I know that, but it does not matter.

 

Although within an hour or so I will publish this diary on Amazon and each day I publish my page on Google Blogger, I am primarily writing to put the diary into a time capsule to be opened on Wednesday 1st January 2121. I want people to read and get a picture of life during this horrific pandemic of china virus. These little poems, rubbish they may be here in February 2021, I hope will give an insight into my life when they are read in one hundred years time.

 

One hundred years time ?  I wonder what will be happening on this day in one hundred years time. In my little feature ON THIS DAY I look at things from 1950 onwards, 1950 being the year I was born. Today I am going to widen things a bit.

 

Wikipedia, are you ready ?  All you friends on Wednesday 1st January 2021 are you ready ?

28th February 202BC: Liu Bang is enthroned as Emperor of China beginning four centuries of rule the Han Dynasty. OH DEAR !!!!!

28th February 1847: The Battle of The Sacramento River during the Mexican-American War is a decisive victory for the United States. HOW EXCAITING – I THINK NOT.

28th February 1874: One of the longest cases ever heard in an English court ends when the defendant is convicted of perjury  for attempting to assume the of the heir to the Tichborne Baronetcy. WHAT THE ???

28th February 1900: In The Second Boer War the one hundred and eighteen day siege of Ladysmith is lifted.

28th February 1935 Nylon is invented. DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE NAME NYLON COMES FROM ? NY = New York  LON = London = NYLON

28th February 1947: In Taiwan civil disorder is put down with the loss of an estimated thirty thousand civilian lives.

28th February 1953:  James Watson and Francis Criskcannounce to friends that they have determined the chemical structure of DNA.

28th February 1975: In London, an underground train fails to stop at Moorgate terminus station and crashes into the end of the tunnel, killing forty-three people. I REMEMBER THAT SO WELL.

28th February 1983: The final episode of MASH airs with almost one hundred and six million viewers. It still holds the record for the highest viewership of a season finale.

28th February 1991: The First Gulf War ends

28th February 2018: Pope Benedict XVI resigns as pope of the Catholic Church becoming the first pope to do so since Pope Gregory XII in 1415.

 

In a few moments, when I plant the last full stop, this text will be my thirteenth 2021 e-book on Amazon. Thirteen, unlucky thirteen ! I need to get number fourteen finished ASAP.

 

A STAIRCASE OF WORDS, I mentioned this earlier, now has 10,452 words so far written. Give me another week.

 

DAVE’S POEMS This was not planned. 2,481 words. I think perhaps May for this to be published.

 

DESTINY’S SERVANT Just 559 words but this I think, this I hope, will be my best piece of writing so far.

 

Within March I plan to write my discussion and debate work THIS HOUSE BELIEVES but first have to get some armour plating for my cheek ready for my tongue to start poking it.

 

I am planning to publish my next quiz book WHO NEEDS A PUB TO HAVE A QUIZ on 1st April so there will be much to do in March.

 

My two music teasers Juke Box Jury and Milton Keynes A Disco For A New City have been fun. I want to do the same sort of thing with classical music under the title IF MUSIC BE THE FOOD OF LOVE PLAY ON. That is the title of a poem I have scribbled.

 

Music

 

If music be the food of love play on.

Billy Wobblestick you got that right didn’t you !

From Mozart to Beethoven,

From Rock and Roll to Twist And Shout.

From John to Ringo, George and Paul.

The Tower of Babel, if you believe,

destroyed the language of mankind.

But the notes of music now unite us all.

 

Now for the REAL people behind the figures.

 

In Milton Keynes where I live we can celebrate. NO DEATHS YESTERDAY but there were twenty-five new cases. Nationally seven thousand and thirty-four new cases with three hundred and sixty-eight more deaths.

 

When you read this in 2121 PLEASE can I emphasise just how angry and frustrated I am that as a nation we are failing to properly honour those who we have lost.

 

8.43am and I am now coming to place that last full stop in my February 2021 diary.

 

Have a lovely day please.

 

MORNING HAS BROKEN

 

Morning has broken

and the birds are singing.

The Blackbird invites us to start the day.

A day of sunshine or a day of pain,

a day of smiling or a day of rain.

A day of happiness or a day of gloom.

Morning has broken,

and the birds are singing.

Our feathered friends are ready to start their day.

Rain or shine how will you form your day ?

With sunshine and smiles,

or with clouds and rain ?

How you form your day will affect the days of all around you.

Morning has broken,

and the birds are singing.

The Blackbird invites YOU to start YOUR day.

 

Don’t be afraid to start over, it is a chance to build something better this time.

 

Speak again next month

Dave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOCATIONS, LEGENDS, ICONS, HISTORY AND HERITAGE

Today's edition of Dave's Diary - The diary nobody reads

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all cities were like Miltyon Keynes. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Milton Keynes were a city.